MADRID – Former Spanish king Juan Carlos I announced on Monday he is retiring from public life from June 2, five years after he abdicated.
The former monarch will no longer attend official engagements from the same date.
The 81-year-old royal informed his son, King Felipe VI, of his decision in a letter in which he pointed out that five years had passed since his abdication and highlighted that since then he has attended official engagements with the same dedication as when he was king, according to a statement from Zarzuela Palace.
“The time has come for me to move onto a new chapter of my life and complete my retirement from public life,” he said.
“I’ve been thinking about this since last year, when I celebrated my 80th birthday, something that was reaffirmed on the occasion of the unforgettable commemoration of the 40th anniversary of our Constitution,” the former king added.
“With a firm and thoughtful conviction, today I express my willingness and desire to take this step and no longer attend official engagements from June 2,” Juan Carlos I penned.
“With my loyalty, always. A big hug from your father,” the royal said.