|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Arts & Entertainment

Michelin-Starred Restaurant in Spain Reopens after Food Poisonings, Death

VALENCIA, Spain – A Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain has reopened its doors on Wednesday, a month after a bout of food poisoning and the death of one customer.

Health officials launched an investigation after 30 people fell ill and one woman died after dining at Riff restaurant in Valencia, eastern Spain.

The woman, who has not been named, died on Feb. 17 after eating there with her husband and son, who also fell ill.

A Valencia judge ruled that proceedings in the case will not be open to the public to “safeguard the privacy of individuals and the family of the deceased.”

The judge said that the privacy order can be lifted if any criminal case is opened.

No individuals are currently under investigation over the incident.

Health officials previously said they were working to establish whether a mushroom dish served at the high-end restaurant was linked to the woman’s death.

Investigative teams collected samples of produce served at the restaurant for analysis at the National Institute of Toxicology.

The woman, 46, who was originally from the city of Leon, in northern Spain, worked at an optician’s store in the Mediterranean city.

While her family recovered, she died in her house early Sunday, Feb. 17, officials said.

The family reported their food poisoning symptoms to their local doctor that morning. They all had cases of vomiting and diarrhea.

Around eight other people dined at the restaurant at the same time as the affected family.

Riff, which is located just outside of Valencia’s historic center, closed its doors after the incident.

Owner and chef, Bernd H. Knöller, said in a statement at the time that the restaurant had complied with health and safety standards.

“Regardless of the cause of the situation, I want to convey my deep condolences for what has happened,” he said.

The German-born chef is a well-known figure in Valencia’s culinary scene.

His restaurant this year celebrated its 10th anniversary as a Michelin-starred venue.

Spain has established a great reputation for the quality of its high-end restaurants with eateries such as Can Roca following in the footsteps of the now-closed elBulli as magnets for wealthy food connoisseurs from across the world.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved