|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Colombia (Click here for more)

ELN Announces Christmas Ceasefire, Urges Peace Talks Resumption in Colombia

BOGOTA – National Liberation Army (ELN) guerrillas announced on Sunday a 12-day ceasefire for the Christmas holiday season beginning Dec. 23, and urged the Colombian government to resume peace talks.

“We will halt offensive operations from Dec. 23, 2018 to Jan. 3, 2019 to contribute towards an atmosphere of peace during Christmas and the New Year,” the ELN’s central command said in a statement posted on Twitter.

During the peace talks at Quito last year, the Colombian government and the ELN agreed on a bilateral ceasefire that lasted 101 days, from Oct. 1, 2017 to Jan. 9, 2018, to create favorable conditions for progressing towards a peace treaty, which allowed people to enjoy a peaceful festive season.

With the ceasefire already having expired, in recent weeks the ELN has carried out attacks on the police as well as oil and transport infrastructure in different parts of the country.

In its recent message, the guerrilla group said it wanted to continue with peace talks that began in Feb. 2017, and urged President Ivan Duque to move ahead in this regard.

The talks have been suspended since Aug. 1 after the sixth round of negotiations with the earlier government concluded in Cuba.

Duque, who came to power in August, has said that for peace talks to resume, the ELN would have to give up its criminal activities, especially kidnapping, and free all captives.

However, neither of the conditions was addressed in the statement by the guerrillas.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved