BEIJING – China lashed out on Wednesday against the fresh tariffs announced by the United States on products imported from China, accusing Washington of “trade bullying,” and vowed to take countermeasures.
The US announcement on Tuesday night imposing tariffs worth $200 billion on Chinese imports has a much wider reach than the $34 billion tariffs announced last week, and could escalate the ongoing trade war between the two economic superpowers.
“The US act is typical trade bullying,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said in a press briefing on Wednesday, adding that Washington had “lost its senses.”
Earlier, the Chinese ministry of commerce had issued a statement calling the tariffs totally unacceptable.
“China will take necessary countermeasures to firmly uphold our own legitimate and lawful rights and interests,” the statement said.
The ministry said that China would file another complaint with the World Trade Organization against the “unilateral conduct” of the US.
“This is a conflict between unilateralism and multilateralism, protectionism and free trade, and power and rules. China will work with the international community to side with what’s right, to uphold the multilateral treaty, system and rules,” the statement added.
Washington’s announcement comes days after another tariff announcement by the US kicked off what is being seen as a full-fledged trade war between the two countries.
“We are totally interdependent on each other, so the willful igniting of a trade war will hurt the interest of both parties as well as other parties involved,” said Chunying, highlighting that two-thirds of Chinese technological exports were produced by foreign companies manufacturing them in China.
“The US act is firing a shot towards the world, and is shooting itself in the foot,” she said.