|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Ecuador (Click here for more)

Ecuador’s Government: No Operations Being Conducted Where Reporters Were Abducted

QUITO – Offensive operations are not being conducted in the area along the border with Colombia where a three-man team from El Comercio newspaper was kidnapped last month, Ecuadorian Interior Minister Cesar Navas said on Wednesday.

“We want to deny that on the part of Ecuador, of our armed forces, of our National Police, offensive operations were conducted in the area,” Navas said, adding that the security forces were only staging “permanent control operations.”

Ecuador asked the Colombian government as soon as it learned of the kidnapping to “not execute operations that compromise the integrity of the three countrymen who have been kidnapped,” Navas said in a press conference.

The interior minister held the press conference after Colombian and Ecuadorian media outlets reported that the Oliver Sinisterra Front, an illegal armed group, said in a statement that the three El Comercio employees had been killed in military operations.

The reports have not been confirmed.

Navas said officials were trying to confirm the authenticity of the statement allegedly released by the front, which is under the command of Walter Patricio Artízala Vernaza.

The Oliver Sinisterra Front was part of the Daniel Aldana column of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).

The Colombian government reached a peace agreement with the FARC, which demobilized and transformed itself into a political party that uses the same acronym.

El Comercio reporter Javier Ortega, 36, photographer Paul Rivas, 45, and driver Efrain Segarra, 60, were abducted on the Ecuador-Colombia border on March 26 and their whereabouts is unknown.

On April 3, Colombia’s Canal RCN aired a video showing the three men, providing the first proof that they were still alive.

The 22-second video showed the kidnapped reporters saying that their lives were in the hands of Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno because the kidnappers wanted to “exchange” them for three comrades “detained in Ecuador.”

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved