LONDON – Prince Philip, the husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, underwent on Wednesday a “successful” hip replacement surgery in London, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said.
The 96-year-old father of Crown Prince Charles “is progressing satisfactorily at this early stage. His Royal Highness is likely to remain in hospital for several days. He is comfortable and in good spirits,” said the spokesman.
The consort of Queen Elizabeth was admitted to private King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday to have the operation after experiencing problems with his hip for about a month.
Doctors predict that the duke will remain hospitalized for several days while he recovers from the procedure.
Philip retired from public life last summer, withdrawing from his official commitments, although the palace has said that the move was not made due to any particular health problems he had been experiencing.
Last year, he was admitted to the same hospital as a “precaution” after suffering an infection from a pre-existing medical condition, palace sources said.
Despite being retired, the duke is occasionally seen in public supporting charitable organizations and/or accompanying Elizabeth at certain functions or events.
The hip operation comes in advance of assorted important events and commitments for the British royal family.
On May 19, Prince Henry (better known as “Harry”), Elizabeth’s grandson, will marry his US fiancee, Meghan Markle, at Windsor Castle.
In late April, it is expected that 36-year-old Catherine (nee Middleton), the Duchess of Cambridge and wife of Prince William, will give birth to their third child.