MANAGUA – Nicaragua’s National Police captured two people suspected in kidnapping a 3-year-old boy, who is now back with his parents, the force announced on Monday.
Magdiel Ramon Perez Mendoza, 30, and Maybel Junieth Baltodano Hernandez, 31, both Nicaraguans, were arrested as the only suspects in the kidnapping of the boy, which occurred last Friday in the northwestern city of Chinandega, according to security forces.
The pair abducted the boy for “personal gain,” said assistant National Police chief Francisco Diaz at a press conference.
“The motive was that they wanted to get ransom” for the youngster, Diaz said.
He confirmed that the pair, using hoods to disguise their identity and wielding a weapon, grabbed the boy from the arms of his nanny as she was bringing him home from school.
The boy was found a few hours later in the home of one of Baltodano’s relatives, where the criminals had hidden him, according to the police version of events.
Perez was captured as he was trying to return the car he had rented to stage the kidnapping, Diaz said.
The parents of the boy, who had reported the kidnapping to police, confirmed that their son was rescued safe and sound.
Diaz said that Nicaragua is a safe country, adding that reports of at least four kidnappings of children last week were “false.”
The case caused quite an uproar in Nicaragua, where such crimes are not common.