|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Cuba

Trump’s Chief of Staff: Cuba Could Stop Attacks on US Diplomatic Personnel

WASHINGTON – The White House Chief of Staff John Kelly said on Thursday in response to a question about alleged acoustic attacks on 22 United States diplomatic personnel in Cuba that Havana could put a stop to them if it so desired.

US complaints about the purported mysterious incidents in Cuba’s capital have put a strain on bilateral relations, which had improved markedly under President Donald Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama.

“We believe the Cuban government could stop the attacks on our diplomats,” Kelly said in a press briefing at the White House, without providing any further explanation.

The Trump administration thus far has not accused President Raul Castro’s government of being behind the alleged attacks, which Washington says began in late 2016 and most recently occurred in August.

Washington, however, says Havana has failed to guarantee the safety of US diplomatic officials on the Caribbean island.

The FBI is conducting an investigation.

Cuba’s government, meanwhile, says it has been investigating the alleged incidents since it was first informed about them but denies any wrongdoing.

Castro’s government also has complained about a lack of cooperation on the part of US authorities, saying they have not shared information or provided evidence that the incidents occurred.

The US State Department has responded to the alleged attacks by operating its embassy in Havana with a skeleton staff that is not issuing any visas and only providing emergency consular services to American citizens in Cuba.

Last week, the US further ratcheted up bilateral tensions by ordering 15 Cuban Embassy staff members in Washington to leave the country.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved