BUENOS AIRES – The Argentine Attorney General’s Office said on Tuesday that the crowd stampede at the Indio Solari rock concert on the weekend may have killed more people than just the two whose deaths were reported, taking into account the fact that there are still people missing.
“With people missing, we cannot rule out other deaths,” said Marcelo Sobrino, the chief prosecutor for the city of Azul, which includes the town of Olavarria, 360 kilometers (223 miles) northwest of Buenos Aires, where the tragedy occurred early on Sunday.
In remarks to La Red radio, Sobrino said that there is no definitive list of the missing, although local media calculate that some 300 cannot be accounted for, but as a result of information from some of the other concertgoers and relatives there is concern that a number of people’s whereabouts are not known.
There are efforts under way on the social networks to compile statements and photographs with an eye toward locating the missing people.
Meanwhile, Argentine authorities continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the concert, which drew an estimated 180,000 more people than the venue’s 170,000 capacity.
Despite the warnings from the public and the singer himself, who felt obligated to interrupt his performance several times, the crowd continued to surge around the stage.
The size of the crowd became so large that Solari asked fans near the stage to move back and avoid crushing those in front of them, but when fireworks were set off the crowd overwhelmed the security detail, causing a stampede and pressing against people in the first rows, where two men died.
According to what medical personnel told the state-run Telam news agency, the three people who remain hospitalized on Tuesday – two in Olavarria and one in Azul – are “evolving positively.”
On Sunday night, prosecutors interviewed the 68-year-old Solari, who had been away from the stage for a year due to Parkinson’s disease.
The singer and former frontman of legendary band Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota denied that concert organizer En Vivo Group S.A., a company run by Marcos and Matias Peuscovich, was responsible for the incident.
Solari told investigators that he began calling for calm early in the show after spotting brawls in the audience, media reports said.
Municipal officials, however, blamed the organizers for the incidents inside La Colmena, a property owned by En Vivo Group S.A.
Solari has a huge following in Argentina and this is not the first time that one of his concerts ended with fatalities.
In 1997, a concert featuring Solari and his band, one of the most popular groups in Argentina at the time, was banned because of previous violent incidents.