|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Argentina

Two Remain Hospitalized after Massive Rock Concert in Argentina

BUENOS AIRES – Two people remain hospitalized after getting caught in the crush of the crowd over the weekend at an Indio Solari concert that possibly drew more than 400,000 people to the Argentine city of Olavarria, officials said Monday.

Antonella Falcon and Daniel Esteban Robles are in the intensive care unit and “evolving positively,” Olavarria Municipal Hospital said in a statement posted on the city’s website.

Two people died early Sunday after the crowd surged when fireworks were set off during the concert in Olavarria, located about 360 kilometers (some 224 miles) northeast of Buenos Aires.

“The other patients have been discharged already,” the hospital said.

Prosecutors continue investigating the incident at the concert, which drew roughly 180,000 more people than the expected capacity of 170,000.

The size of the crowd became so large that Solari asked fans near the stage to move back and avoid crushing those in front of them, but the crowd overwhelmed the security detail, causing a stampede and pressing against people in the first rows, where the two men died.

On Sunday night, prosecutors interviewed the 68-year-old Solari, who had been away from the stage for a year due to Parkinson’s disease.

The singer and former frontman of legendary band Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota denied that concert organizer En Vivo Group S.A., a company run by Marcos and Matias Peuscovich, was responsible for the incident.

Solari told investigators that he began calling for calm early in the show after spotting brawls in the audience, media reports said.

Municipal officials, however, blamed the organizers for the incidents inside La Colmena, a property owned by En Vivo Group S.A.

Solari has a huge following in Argentina and this is not the first time that one of his concerts ended with fatalities.

In 1997, a concert featuring Solari and his band, one of the most popular groups in Argentina at the time, was banned because of previous violent incidents.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved